Thursday, July 25, 2013

Pasta Sauce

I like some chunks in my pasta sauce, & I like it thick.  
So this recipe was perfect for me!  
I plan to use it for pizza & spaghetti sauce.


{I Think I Can}:  Canned Pasta Sauce
I made mine be 2 quarts & 4 pints--also the one with the ring still on, didn't seal!?  So it's in my fridge, waiting to be used up in the next week or two.

PASTA SAUCE
4 med. onions, chopped fine
3 small garlic cloves, minced
3 T. vegetable oil
4 qts tomatoes, peeled* and quartered (I used Roma & Salsa)
4 cans (6 oz each) tomato paste
1 can (16 oz) chopped mushrooms (optional)
1 c. chopped parsley (dry)
3 T. sugar
3 T. salt
4 t. oregano leaves
2 bay leaves

Cook onions, garlic & oil in a large stockpot until tender.  Add the rest of the ingredients.  Mix well and simmer, uncovered, for 2 hours, stirring often.  Remove bay leaves.  Put into jars.  Top w/ readied lid & ring.  Place in canner & boil for 10 minutes.  Makes 4 quarts.


{I Think I Can}:  Canned Pasta Sauce
sauteing the onions, garlic & oil
{I Think I Can}:  Canned Pasta Sauce
getting ready for it to start cooking-notice the clean stove,
when it gets done there's red dots all over the white 
:)
The first lesson I learned was when it calls for 4 qts of tomatoes, that means AFTER you've skinned & chunked them.  I thought I was going to have enough for 1.5 batches (I had 6 qts).  When I got done skinning & chunking them, I only had 10 cups...I still needed 6 more cups to even make ONE batch!  

So I learned from my momma, that it was ok to put them in a freezer bag & take them out when you have enough ripe ones to make a whole batch!  And that worked out just fine!!  I was worried about it being more runny, but it wasn't.


{I Think I Can}:  Freezing Tomatoes


I also couldn't find one bay leaf.  I fished and fished.  So I'll have to try & remember that when I'm cooking with the sauce!  Oh boy.  

*How to peel tomatoes:

  • fill a saucepan 1/2-3/4 full of water
  • bring to boil
  • place about 6 tomatoes in water at once, and let rest just a few seconds (like 30 or less)
  • remove from boiling water
  • keep burner on high because it'll start to cool as you add more cold tomatoes
  • continue until you've done them all
  • now take a knife and make a little slit, and the skin should just peel right off!
Most of my Roma tomatoes were pretty small so I only halved them, not quartered.

You'll be glad you made homemade Pasta Sauce to ENJOY all year round! 







Thanks For Stopping By!  
While You're Here, Why Don't You Leave A Comment?  
Tell Me What You Think!  
Make sure to PIN it for later too!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments! Thanks for leaving feedback, it's always appreciated! -Rhonda