Friday, October 18, 2013

Canned V8~Tomato Juice

{I Think I Can} Canned V8-Tomato Juice

Yes folks! 

I'm STILL harvesting tomatoes...
They just keep comin' and comin'...
"the pot that won't run dry..."

I keep waiting for my husband to pull my plants, 
but until that happens I hate to see them go to waste, 
so I keep coming up with things to do with them :)  
Hopefully they'll be out soon, 
as I'm starting to run low on IDEAS!

Now How is This for BEAUTIFUL:

{I Think I Can} V-8 Tomato Juice

 V-8 tomato juice 

 I just LOVE it's RICH DEEP RED color!
You know what makes it that color?
.BEETS.
NOW, now--DON'T get turned off quite yet!
I. Don't. Like. Beets. Either.
-For Real-
But you can NOT taste them, it just really 
adds a beautiful color to the finished product!
Plus I'm sure some added 
vitamins & minerals-whatever beets provide!
So, just give it a chance :)

Alrighty: now for the recipe...
V-8/ TOMATO JUICE
You will need:
-1/2 bushel of tomatoes, washed & halved or quartered (or 26#, or 2 gallons already juiced tomatoes)
-1 bunch celery, cut into chunks
-1 bunch carrots, ends removed, and chunked
-leftover veggies from your garden, or go buy some if you want.
(I used:)
-4-5 peppers (all colors), seeded and chunked
-several onions, in large chunks
-several garlic cloves, minced
-handful of beets, peeled and chunked
Now this is what you do:

{I Think I Can} V-8 Tomato Juice
Throw all the veggies (except the beets) into a big pot.  
Add some water to help get the steaming going.  
You want the veggies to cook down to pretty mushy.  

Place a lid on the pot.

{I Think I Can} V-8 Tomato Juice
Aren't those vibrant colors just screaming: 
HEALTHY, HEALTHY, HEALTHY!? 

{I Think I Can} V-8 Tomato Juice
Place the beets into a separate pot along with a little water, and cook them until pretty tender. 
--watch so the water doesn't all boil out and it starts to burn on, 
not speakin' from experience or anything :) --

{I Think I Can} V-8 Tomato Juice
In another pot, cook the tomatoes down. 
(leave the skins on)  
Add a little water if you need to.

Then run them through the squeezo, saving the juice!

{I Think I Can} V-8 Tomato Juice
Now once the beets are all done cooking, 
add them-juice and all, to the blender & puree.

Do the same with the other veggies.

{I Think I Can} V-8 Tomato Juice
Then mix the two purees together.
Isn't that soooo pretty?

Once the tomato juice is ready.  
Place all ingredients into one big bowl & stir it up good.

Now all you have left to do is hot water bath them.  
Pints & quarts both take 35 minutes.

Mine made 6 quarts & 19 pints w/ a tad left over.

Uses:  in any recipe that calls for tomato juice or V-8 juice, such as chili, casseroles, stews, soups, 
meats in the crock pot...
You can also drink it like V-8 juice if you are that type of person.  I don't particularly enjoy that sort of a thing myself.  But I know lots of people do! 

~HAPPY COOKING & DRINKING~
Rhonda


{I Think I Can} V-8 Tomato Juice





Thanks For Stopping By!  
While You're Here, Why Don't You Leave A Comment?  
Tell Me What You Think!  
Make sure to PIN it for later too!





Linking this recipe up with the following Linky Parties:  Creations by Kara,"Showcase Your Talent", on Whats cooking, Love?, Dessert Now, Dinner Later!





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments! Thanks for leaving feedback, it's always appreciated! -Rhonda